Tektronix RSA7100A 14/26.5 GHz Real-time Analyzer
Price on request
The RSA7100A wideband signal analyzer offers real-time spectrum analysis up to 800 MHz bandwidth and streaming storage of up to 2 hours of seamless data at full bandwidth in one solution.
- 16 kHz to 14/26.5 GHz frequency range covers a broad range of analysis needs including modulation, pulse, WLAN and frequency/phase settling measurements with SignalVu-PC
- Streaming capture to internal RAID of up to 2 hours at full 800 MHz bandwidth enables environment recording and analysis of long event sequences
- Find and mark events of interest hiding within terabytes of stored data quickly with DataVu-PC
Tektronix RSA7100A 14/26.5 GHz Real-time Analyzer
The RSA7100A wideband signal analyzer offers real time spectrum analysis up to 800 MHz bandwidth, simultaneous streaming to multiple interfaces for record (up to 2 hours) and playback of seamless data at full bandwidth.
- 16 kHz to 14/26.5 GHz frequency range covers a broad range of analysis needs
- High performance spectrum analysis for advanced design verification with -134 dBc/Hz phase noise at 1 GHz, 10 kHz offset and typical amplitude accuracy of 0.5 dB at 10 GHz
- Standard 320 MHz real time bandwidth; standard internal preamplifier to 3.6 GHz
- Industry’s best real time performance: 419 nsec for 100% Probability of Intercept at full signal level
- Available 800 MHz acquisition bandwidth at frequencies > 3.6 GHz for advanced Radar, communications and spectrum management requirements
- Real time triggers on events of 4 ns in time domain, 700 ns in frequency domain ensures you catch the signals of interest first time, every time
- IQFlowTM provides continuous streaming of IQ data from the device to one or more clients, including RAID and 40 GbE, and an API that provides the speed and flexibility needed to perform real-time DSP algorithms and record/analyze long event sequences
- Streaming capture to internal RAID of over 2 hours (maximum of 2.75 hours) at full 800 MHz bandwidth enables environment recording and analysis of long event sequences
- DataVu-PC software for analysis of recorded events of any length includes ability to mark events of interest, export waveforms to other formats and perform pulse analysis with export of Pulse Descriptor Word (PDW) information
- Simultaneous streaming and real time analysis for live monitoring of recording events ensures you are getting the data you need
- Efficient fast-frame capture with dead-time eliminated optimizes memory and analysis so you can analyze longer test sequences
- Standard real time spectrum analysis with DPX spectrum/spectrogram minimizes time finding transients and interference
- Standard measurements including channel power, ACLR, CCDF, OBW/EBW, spurious search and amplitude/frequency/phase versus time provide a complete tool set for development work
- Application licenses for SignalVu-PC are available to provide a wide variety of analysis including modulation, pulse, WLAN and frequency/phase settling measurements
- Internal GPS receiver available for precise time stamping of events; timing reference sources include GPS, IRIG-B AM, IRIG-B DC, and 1PPS
- Advanced radar/EW design evaluation
- Environment evaluation, monitoring, and recording
- Wideband communications design
- Spectrum management
The RSA7100A gives you the power to imagine new solutions
The RSA7100A is a high performance spectrum analyzer focused on wideband analysis and signal recording. By separating the RF acquisitions from the compute engine, a graphics processor can be used in place of previously required FPGA designs for real time processing. As processor capabilities advance, new performance can be easily maintained for the system with PC upgrades instead of RF hardware replacement, making the RSA7100A a smart choice for minimizing long term costs. You can also harness the power of this CPU/GPU combination in your own simulations and designs, using the instrument as a powerful workstation.
The RSA7100A is designed for engineers working on the latest wideband designs in communications, radar and electronic warfare and for spectrum managers who need to see the effects of new wideband systems when fielded and operational.
Analysis of signals is enabled with two software packages. SignalVu-PC for real time, spectrum and vector signal analysis, and DataVu-PC for analysis of the very large file sets produced when recording wideband signals.
SignalVu-PC software offers rich analysis capability
The RSA7100 operates with SignalVu-PC, a powerful program used as the basis of Tek’s traditional spectrum analyzers. SignalVu-PC offers a deep analysis capability including real time spectrum analysis and a wide variety of application packages. A programmatic interface to SignalVu-PC is provided, offering all measurements and settings to external programs. Basic functionality of the free SignalVu-PC program is far from basic and includes the measurements shown below.
|General signal analysis||Description|
|Spectrum analyzer||Spans from 100 Hz to full range of the instrument, 3 traces + math and spectrogram trace, 5 markers with power, relative power, integrated power, power density and dBc/Hz functions|
|DPX spectrum/spectrogram||Real time display of spectrum with 100% probability of intercept of up to 419 nsec signals in up to 800 MHz span|
|Amplitude, frequency, phase vs. time, RF I and Q vs. time||Basic vector analysis functions|
|Time Overview/Navigator||Enables easy setting of acquisition and analysis times for deep analysis in multiple domains|
|Spectrogram||Analyze and re-analyze your signal in
2-D or 3-D waterfall display
|Analog modulation analysis||Description|
|AM, FM, PM analysis||Measures key AM, FM, PM parameters|
|Spurious measurement||User-defined limit lines and regions provide automatic spectrum violation testing across the entire range of the instrument.|
|Spectrum emission mask||User-set or standards-specific masks.|
|Occupied bandwidth||Measures 99% power, -xdB down points.|
|Channel power and ACLR||Variable channel and adjacent/alternate channel parameters.|
|MCPR||Sophisticated, flexible multi-channel power measurements.|
|CCDF||Complementary Cumulative Distribution Function plots the statistical variations in signal level.|
|Signal strength||Measures signal strength and displays a spectrum and signal strength bar for interference hunting and signal quality evaluations.|
The illustration below demonstrates the power of wide-band continuous monitoring for determining spectrum occupancy and interference over time. The spectrogram and real-time spectrum displays off-air spectral activity over time from 640 MHz to 960 MHz, showing TV, narrow-band communications, cellular base stations and the unregulated 900 MHz ISM band, all time-correlated. The resolution bandwidth of the analysis is 25 kHz to assure a low noise floor, and the minimum signal duration for 100% probability of intercept is a remarkable 98 microseconds.
The RSA7100A combined with SignalVu-PC application licenses offers advanced analysis, 800 MHz bandwidth, streaming to internal RAID, and simultaneous streaming to multiple interfaces for record and playback
SignalVu-PC offers a wealth of application-oriented options, including:
- Pulse analysis including exclusive Pulse-Ogram™ displays
- General-purpose modulation analysis (27 modulation types including 16/32/64/128/256 QAM, QPSK, O-QPSK, GMSK, FSK, APSK)
- EMC/EMI analysis with CISPR peak, quasi-peak, and average detectors
- Streaming data to internal RAID
- IQFlowTM provides simultaneous, continuous streaming of IQ data from the device to one or more clients through API and 40 GbE
- WLAN analysis of 802.11a/b/g/j/p, 802.11n, 802.11ac
- P25 analysis of phase I and phase 2 signals
- LTE™ FDD and TDD Base Station (eNB) Cell ID & RF measurements
- Bluetooth® analysis of Basic Rate, Low Energy, and Bluetooth 5. Some support of Enhanced Data Rate
- AM/FM/PM/Direct Audio Measurement including SINAD, THD
- Signal Classification and Survey
See the separate SignalVu-PC data sheet for complete details and ordering information. Selected applications are illustrated below.
The Pulse Analysis package (SVPH) provides 29 individual measurements plus cumulative statistics, opening a world of characterization for wideband pulsed system designers and evaluators. The fast-frame acquisition mode of SignalVu-PC with the RSA7100A allows you to acquire just the time of interest during your pulse, making the most efficient use of memory. Cumulative statistics displays analyze data over multiple acquisitions, further extending the analysis to millions of pulses. Displays and measurements include:
|Cumulative histograms of any measurement
Cumulative measurements table with statistics (min, max, mean, standard deviation)
Cumulative histograms of any measurement
Pulse-Ogram waterfall display of amplitude vs. time of multiple pulses
Spectrum of any pulse from the Pulse-Ogram
Measurement display of any selected pulse vs. time
Trend of selected measurement vs. pulse number
FFT of selected measurement vs. pulse number
Power (Average on, Peak, Average transmitted)
Repetition interval (seconds and Hz)
Duty factor (% and ratio)
Ripple (dB and %)
Droop (dB and %)
Overshoot (dB and %)
Pulse-to-Pulse and Pulse-to-Reference frequency difference
Pulse-to-Pulse and Pulse-to-Reference phase difference
Frequency error (RMS and Maximum)
Phase error (RMS and Maximum)
Deviation (Frequency and Phase)
Impulse response (dB and time)
Shown above is a 700 MHz wide chirped signal. A time overview is presented at the top of the display that shows the pulses in the current acquisition. Phase deviation is displayed on the left, showing the characteristic parabolic shape of a frequency chirp. The signal has variations in repetition interval, shown in both the pulse table and the spectrogram on the right.
The illustration above is the unique Pulse-Ogram display in SignalVu-PC application license SVPH. This is a waterfall of triggered pulses showing their relationship to the trigger in time domain. Variations are immediately seen as changes in timing vs. trigger. Each time domain trace is represented as a spectrum on the right side of the display for immediate correlation of time and frequency domain effects.
General purpose modulation analysis
SignalVu-PC application SV21 bundles 27 different modulation types into a single analysis package that includes:
I and Q vs. Time
EVM vs. Time
Frequency deviation vs. Time
Magnitude error vs. Time
Phase error vs. Time
|Error vector magnitude (RMS, Peak, EVM vs Time)
Modulation error ratio (MER)
Magnitude Error (RMS, peak, mag error vs time)
Phase error (RMS, Peak, Phase error vs time)
FSK only: Frequency deviation, Symbol timing error
|π/2DBPSK, BPSK, SBPSK, QPSK, DQPSK, π/4DQPSK, D8PSK, 8PSK, OQPSK, SOQPSK, CPM, 16/32/64/128/256QAM, MSK, GMSK, GFSK, 2-FSK, 4-FSK, 8-FSK, 16-FSK, C4FM, D16PSK, 16APSK, and 32APSK|
In the illustration above, a 5 GHz carrier modulated with 500 MSymbols/sec pi/4-QPSK is analyzed with the RSA7100A Option B800 and SignalVu-PC application license SVMH. A measurement summary, EVM vs. Time, and constellation display are shown along with the continuous monitoring of the DPX spectrum.
Streaming recording to RAID
With option STREAMxx-SVPC, you can stream the full real time bandwidth of the RSA7100A to the available RAID system in the controller. All other analysis (real time spectrum analysis, modulation analysis, etc.) is available simultaneous with streaming. This ability to analyze while streaming ensures the quality of your data collection, avoiding re-runs and saving time. Two options for RAID are offered, with over 2 hours storage available at 800 MHz bandwidth. Longer recording times are available at reduced bandwidths.
Easy recordings are available at the touch of a button or when a trigger is received. Anticipated file size is reported and indications of skipped frames or overload conditions are provided to ensure high quality recording. Above we see a 5 second recording being made. DPX spectrum is providing real time monitoring of the 800 MHz acquisition. The file size, available disk space, recording progress, number of files recorded are all reported. Indicators of dropped frames and input overload are presented all in the same control screen.
DataVu-PC for analysis of long recordings
SignalVu-PC can open files up to 16 GB in size, and perform analysis on any 1 GB of the opened file. But 16 GB is just a few seconds of data in 800 MHz bandwidth, not enough for analysis of streamed recordings that can reach 30 TB in size. DataVu-PC is the solution for analysis of large files. With DataVu-PC you can view color-graded spectrums, spectrograms and amplitude vs. time of files of unlimited length. Search-and-mark testing is available to quickly identify signals of interest. Searches can be amplitude qualified, and a marker is placed on up to 2,000,000 events found. Replay of user-selected sections is offered for review of signals of interest, and selected areas can be exported to SignalVu-PC for further analysis. Pulse analysis is available within DataVu-PC, with results start/stop time, average/peak power, pulse duration, Pulse Repetition Interval (PRI) and start/stop frequencies on up to 2,000,000 pulses, all exportable in Pulse Descriptor Word (PDW) format. See the separate DataVu-PC data sheet for further details.
Above is a color-graded spectrum display combined with a 99% overlap spectrogram display as shown on DataVu-PC. You have full overlap/skip control to vary rate and detail of the streaming file for complete visualization of the data.
DataVu-PC pulse option provides fast marking of pulses and measurements on large data sets. Above, the results of a pulse search are presented with the pulse measurements of start/stop time, average/peak power, pulse duration, Pulse Repetition Interval (PRI) and start/stop frequencies on up to 2,000,000 pulses. Pulse results can be exported in PDW format for use by other tools.
CTRL7100A controller included with the RSA7100A
Tektronix has designed the CTRL7100A controller to meet the specified performance of real time DPX operation with simultaneous streaming to RAID. You can also harness the power of this CPU/GPU combination in your own simulations and designs, using the instrument as a powerful workstation.
CTRL7100A key specifications
The CTRL7100A is offered in the following configuration. See the CTRL7100A datasheet for full specifications of the controller.
- Dual Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2623 v4 (10M Cache, 2.6 GHz)
- 64 GB DDR4 2133 MHz RAM
- 512 GB SSD (removable)
- Optional RAID controller and front-panel removable drives supports 4 GB/s and up to 32 TB
- Windows 7 (Win8 Pro COA) operating system
- AMD FirePro W9100 16GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 Workstation Video Card
- 16 GB GDDR5 memory
- 6 Mini Display Port 1.2 outputs
- 320 GB/s memory bandwidth
- 4K display resolution (up to 4096 x 2160)
- 5.24 TFLOPS single precision performance
- 40 GbE card
- Streaming to RAID options (20 minutes; or 165 minutes at full 800 MHz bandwidth)
Tektronix RSA7100A 14/26.5 GHz Real-time Analyzer
Tektronix RSA7100A 14/26.5 GHz Real-time Analyzer
Real-Time Spectrum Analyzer, up to 800 MHz acquisition bandwidth
Includes: Installation and safety manual, 3.5mm Crown Connector-Female, PCIe cable, mouse, keyboard, adapter: Mini-Display Port to HDMI, Mini-Display Port to DVI. Power cables, rack mount kits for acquisition unit and controller. Controller rack-mount is a ‘telecom-style’. A server-style rackmount can also be used with the controller, available from third parties.
Note: A PC monitor is not included with the RSA7100A. Tektronix recommends the Dell UltraSharp U2414H 23.8 inch Widescreen IPS LCD Monitor, or any monitor that supports Display port, DVI or HDMI input and has a minimum 1920 x 1080 display resolution.
How to order
When ordering the RSA7100A, you select between two frequency ranges and whether you would like to have an internal GPS receiver and/or an ISO17025 calibration data report.
SignalVu-PC licenses can be ordered as options to the RSA7100A and are installed on the unit during manufacturing, minimizing order complexity and saving you time in configuration upon receiving your instrument. These licenses are node-locked to the RSA7100A controller and can be moved twice over the lifetime of the license. All licenses, including floating licenses, can be ordered separately if greater flexibility is needed.
RSA7100A license options
|RSA7100A and options||Description||Ordering instructions|
|RSA7100A||Real-time spectrum analyzer, 320 MHz bandwidth|
|Opt. 14||Frequency range 16 kHz-14 GHz||Select one|
|Opt. 26||Frequency range 16 kHz-26.5 GHz|
|Opt. GPS||GPS receiver||Select one|
|Opt. NO GPS||No GPS receiver|
|Opt. CAL||Calibration report with data (ISO 17025)|
|Opt. GPS CAL||GPS receiver and calibration report with data (ISO17025)|
|Opt. C7100-A||Controller, no RAID storage||Select one|
|Opt. C7100-B||Controller, RAID storage, 20 minutes recording time at 800 MHz bandwidth (requires STREAMNL-SVPC)|
|Opt. C7100-C||Controller, RAID storage, > 120 minutes recording time at 800 MHz bandwidth (requires STREAMNL-SVPC)|
|Opt. SV09||High performance real time (export class 3A002), node-locked license||Mandatory option|
|SignalVu-PC licenses ordered as options to CTRL7100A
(Factory installed on unit)
|Opt. B800NL-SVPC||Node locked||800 MHz acquisition bandwidth|
|Opt. STREAMNL-SVPC||Node locked||Steaming data|
|Opt. SVMHNL-SVPC||Node locked||General Purpose Modulation Analysis to work with analyzer of any acquisition bandwidth and MDO|
|Opt. SVPHNL-SVPC||Node locked||Pulse Analysis to work with analyzer of any acquisition bandwidth and MDO|
|Opt. TRIGHNL-SVPC||Node locked||Advanced triggers (Frequency Mask, Density) to work with RSA7100A|
|Opt. MAPNL-SVPC||Node locked||Mapping and signal strength|
|Opt. SV54NL-SVPC||Node locked||Signal survey and classification|
|Opt. SVTNL-SVPC||Node locked||Settling Time (frequency and phase) measurements|
|Opt. SV23NL-SVPC||Node locked||WLAN 802.11a/b/g/j/p measurement|
|Opt. SV24NL-SVPC||Node locked||WLAN 802.11n measurement (requires SV23)|
|Opt. SV25HNL-SVPC||Node locked||WLAN 802.11ac measurement to work with analyzer of acquisition bandwidth ≤40 MHz and MDO4000B/C (requires SV23 and SV24)|
|Opt. SV26NL-SVPC||Node locked||APCO P25 measurement|
|Opt. SV27NL-SVPC||Node locked||Bluetooth measurement to work with analyzer of acquisition bandwidth ≤40 MHz and MDO4000B/C|
|Opt. SV28NL-SVPC||Node locked||LTE Downlink RF measurement to work with analyzer of acquisition bandwidth ≤40 MHz and MDO4000B/C|
|Opt. SVANL-SVPC||Node locked||AM/FM/PM/Direct Audio Analysis|
|Opt. SVONL-SVPC||Node locked||Flexible OFDM Analysis|
|Opt. CONNL-SVPC||Node locked||SignalVu-PC live link to the MDO4000B/C series mixed-domain oscilloscopes|
- Opt. G3
- Complete Care 3 Years (includes loaner, scheduled calibration, and more)
- Opt. G5
- Complete Care 5 Years (includes loaner, scheduled calibration, and more)
DataVu-PC is recommended for users who record data using the RSA7100A streaming and RAID options. Ordering information for DataVu-PC is shown below. See the separate DataVu-PC datasheet for details on licensing, minimum PC requirements, features, and functions.
DataVu-PC ordering information
DataVu-PC is distributed via www.tek.com. Hard copy versions of the software are not available. An operation manual is distributed in .pdf format with the software.
|DVPC-SPAN50NL||Node locked||Base version, DataVu-PC operation on acquisitions to 50 MHz bandwidth|
|DVPC-SPAN200NL 1||Node locked||Base version, DataVu-PC operation on acquisitions to 200 MHz bandwidth|
|DVPC-SPAN1000NL||Node locked||Base version, DataVu-PC operation on acquisitions to 1000 MHz bandwidth|
|DVPC-SMARKNL||Node locked||DataVu-PC smart markers and time overview (requires base version)|
|DVPC-PULSENL||Node locked||DataVu-PC pulse analysis (requires DVPC-SMARKNL)|
1DataVu-PC can open files recorded in 16-bit .XDAT format from any source. If you have a data source that records at 50 MHz to 200 MHz bandwidth, such as a Tektronix RSA5000 or RSA6000 series spectrum analyzer with a third-party recording solution, choose DVPC-SPAN200.
CTRL7100A: Additional controllers for the RSA7100A
Additional controllers are available for the RSA7100A should you need to have controllers in multiple locations. The CTRL7100A is identical to the unit included with the RSA7100A. For detailed ordering information, see the CTRL7100A datasheet on www.Tek.com.
Analyzers, Spectrum Analyzers